Car Accident Settlements: An Ultimate Guide 


Unfortunately, car accidents can cause serious or even fatal injuries and can happen when we least expect them. When another driver’s negligence causes your injuries, you may be entitled to significant damages to cover your medical expenses, lost wages from time away from work, pain, and suffering. 

The insurance company will frequently attempt to convince you to accept a low-ball offer that does not adequately cover your past, present, and future costs. For this reason, you need the knowledgeable Queens, NYC car accident attorneys at Sullivan & Galleshaw on your side to ensure that you and your family receive the maximum settlement for your case.

Do I have a chance of getting a settlement from a car accident?

As a result of New York’s no-fault insurance law, receiving a payout for an automobile accident requires that you have suffered catastrophic injuries.

How much does a typical auto accident settlement cost?

When a car accident occurs in New York, pure comparative negligence is utilized to assign blame. In particular car accidents, one motorist is entirely at fault while the other did nothing wrong. 

However, in other collisions, each driver might have been partially to blame. Your percentage of fault in your accident may result in a reduction in compensation. 

According to how this works, if you were determined to be 25% at blame, and the other driver was found to be 75% at fault in an accident, and you had $1 Million in damages, you would receive $750,000 rather than the entire $1 Million.

The settlement amount for a car accident varies depending on the circumstances of each case. However, there are several different sorts of damages you may be entitled to receive, including the following:

  • All physician, medical center, and ambulance fees
  • Medications’ total cost
  • The price of either physical or occupational treatment
  • any assistive equipment fees incurred as a result of the accident
  • earnings lost
  • a reduction in potential future earnings
  • The absence of a group
  • Disfigurement

Settlement Timeline for Vehicle Accidents

One final point, a good lawyer knows what a reasonable settlement offer is and will help you decide whether to accept the insurance company’s settlement offer or file a lawsuit. Negotiations are never predictable since there are always two sides involved who must agree on what is fair. Often settlements are negotiated before a lawsuit has been filed; others are reached much later, sometimes even during trial.